Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Being sick is like practice for being old

(A picture of me and Jonathan in our first apartment taken by our roommate Andy Resek, Northampton, MA, 2002. And that *AMAZING* hooked rug is by Jonathan's grandmother, MH's namesake. Can't wait to pilfer the beach house and get that puppy back in our possession!)

I'm so glad the election is over, and even happier with the results. It did get me thinking about four years ago.  I was 27, still owned The Knit Nook. In fact, a bunch of us had an impromptu Stitch n Bitch at Cindy's and we stayed up late, drinking beer and knitting, until John Stewart called it just before midnight. This time around, I was by myself, watching Frasier and drinking Gatorade, while refreshing The New York Times website every few minutes. I went to bed a little after ten. I know it was more because I've been sick, but I felt old.

On the radio this morning, some talking head was breaking down voter demographics and they defined young people as "18- 29 year olds." So not me anymore. I'm well into my thirties now. I guess I should start watching Thirty-something so I can better acquaint myself with what the next phase of my life is supposed to be about. I remember my mom watched that show when I was a kid. It was totally one of those things, like reading Steven King or watching Moonlighting that seemed so grown up, and I remember she would be even more stressed about making us go to bed so she could watch it. Which just made it more appealing. (Thirty-something is on Netflix, but I have a feeling it's not going to be nearly as good in reality as it is in my head.)

Anyway, getting old isn't so bad. There are certain things I'm looking forward to. Like knowing how to garden (because I just assume that one day, probably in my late forties, I'll just know about flowers). I look forward to not living paycheck to paycheck (which for the love of God has got to stop at some point, right?!) I definitely look forward to wearing Eileen Fisher, expensive linen wrap clothes (because it's totally Star Trek). And when I'm  80 (or 75, I can't decide), I'm totally going to start smoking again.

Do you ever feel like you're still 20? Sometimes I do, but it's a mistake. Just go find a 20 year old and try to have a conversation. You'll feel like your own age pretty damn quick.


1 comment:

  1. A) I remember that apartment!

    B) Don't rent Thirtysomething, it'll depress you

    C) My dad had that same smoking plan, but when he turned 60, he realized it was goofy.

    ReplyDelete