Friday, May 24, 2013

I'm the worst

You know you're lazy when somebody gives you a present and your first thought is, "Goddammit. Now I have to write a freaking thank you card."

Of course, I don't HAVE to write one. I could be that person. I'm halfway there already.

Honestly, if it's somebody I actually care about who has given me the gift, I don't feel bad at all about not giving them a thank you card. But with acquaintances, coworkers, people who aren't emotionally obligated to give me things, I feel like I have to write a thank you card. Which is really the exact opposite of what it should be, but there you are.

But seriously, thank you cards are so stupid. When I get a gift, I'm not an asshole. I open it up and say, "Oh, thank you! This is so great. Blah blah blah!" So why am I then obligated to go out, buy a pack of shitty cards, write "Thank you" on the inside, and then awkwardly hand them to people while they are sitting at their desks trying to work? And if it's just the words in writing that are required, why can't I just send an email?

And I hate receiving thank you cards. I open them up, read the ridiculous note, knowing that this person probably wrote the same exact thing twenty times in the other thank you cards, and then I throw them away. What is the point exactly?

I am not one of those people who bemoans the death of civility and handwritten notes or whatever. I'm glad that kids don't have to learn cursive anymore. We don't need handwriting anymore because we all have computers.

Seriously, I thought the future was NOW? When will computers completely kill thank you cards?

No comments:

Post a Comment