Sunday, October 21, 2012

I'm the Empire State Building

Like I said before, MH has an amazing gorilla costume. I contemplated being a banana (sexy or otherwise), but haven't really been feeling Halloween costumes since college. But we had a party this weekend, so Mama-guilt about not giving a crap about giving my child special memories beat out my apathy. Still, going to Target on a Saturday to spend a frustrating afternoon sorting through the Halloween costumes (assuming that they  haven't already been replaced with Christmas decorations) didn't sound appealing. Instead, I wasted an afternoon on the internets and decided that I could probably make an Empire State Building hat (which sort of works if you decide that MH is King Kong rather than just a regular gorilla).

So anyway, I raided my mom's box collection (Yes. My mother has a box collection. She always has. It's quite extensive.) and duct taped two boxes and a paper towel roll together and then covered the whole thing with duct tape. (I was gonna paint it, but that seemed like work.) Then I added a few stripes and squares of black electrical tape and there it was: a costume.



Anyway, it's like 80 degrees outside, so MH didn't even wear her gorilla costume to the party  (I forced her into it when we got home specifically for these pictures.) Without the gorilla, my Empire State Building didn't really have the necessary context. While some people recognized it as a building--or even the Empire State Building--people kept being like, "So, what's the building for?" And then I had to explain the gorilla costume situation and how it's 80 degrees outside and my toddler has enough sense to not wear a fake fur body suit in this weather, but a general rule is that if you start talking extensively about the weather, you are being boring. And I'm sure there were those people who thought I showed up with a robot penis hat and so of course didn't talk to me at all.

Whatever, I tried.

(Here I am in my "sexy" Empire State Building costume. Obviously.)

3 comments:

  1. This is the best costume ever. And MH makes an adorable King Kong. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have put the pictures up of her jumping on the couch yelling, "Costume OFF! Costume OFF!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the best Robot Penis Hat I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete