Friday, March 22, 2013

Lean Out


Bored, emotionally stunted housewife? Ambitious career woman who gave up her baby--and all hope of marriage and a family--in exchange for success? Ambitious career woman who tries to do it all, and ends up prostituting herself (emotionally, literally) to everyone? Forty something years later and these three pretty much still summarize a woman's "choice." (You know, white middle class women who actually have the freedom to choose.) But the fact that we are still employing these tired cliches when discussing this issue just goes to show how little shit has changed.

So, feminism has actually been deemed newsworthy for the past few weeks. Yes, I realize that most of this is fake controversy generated to sell books and magazines, but I'm still thrilled that discussions of feminism are reaching beyond if Taylor Swift identifies herself as a feminist or not (because really, who cares? She's not even a woman. She's a unicorn cupcake fairy princess, obviously.)

That said, what the hell is the conversation about anyway? Why, you guessed it! Should a woman stay home (Betty), work (Peggy), or try to do both, knowing she will fail miserably and never get as far as her male counterparts (Joan)? I'm so glad we've progressed so much in the past half century!

In case you have been asleep for the past few weeks, the "controversy" is centered around Sheryl Sanberg's book Lean In--a self-proclaimed/promoted feminist manifesto urging women to acknowledge internalized gender biases while seeking leadership positions and Lisa Miller's article for New York Magazine about "feminist housewives": women who are choosing to give up careers to stay home with their children. I haven't read Sanberg's book, just the reviews (rants) about it, but her TED Talk is truly amazing and actually helped me rethink my own decision to continue working after my son is born. I have read the Miller article and found most of it infuriating. Not  that women are choosing to leave unrewarding jobs in order to stay home with their families, but the fact that this choice is described as both a biological imperative (women are just better at nurturing children and keeping house) AND a feminist choice. I'm sorry, but if you choose to stay home because you have a vagina, there ain't nothing feminist about that.

Anyway, just the fact that Sanberg's book keeps getting thrown into these "debates" about whether women should work and stay home just proves how stalled this conversation is. This is a false choice! Sanberg's whole point is that women are earning almost 60% of the degrees in this country, but are in less than 20% of the leadership positions, and she blames this on internalized sexism. She is not advocating for women to work, but rather encouraging women who do work to "lean in" to help break the complicated gender conditioning that is holding women back. Even the fact that choosing to have a career or stay home is still portrayed as a woman's choice--rather than a parent's choice--just proves Sanberg's argument!

So now Miller is going around on the morning talk shows advocating "leaning out," a clever if misappropriated term for women choosing not to work. As if women giving up their careers and staying home is a really an innovative thing.

Anyway, her terminology is all wrong. If anybody is "leaning out," it's me. I don't really have a career. I gave up a stressful teaching job so I could sit in an office all day reading the internet in between spreadsheets and then go home at a decent hour to play with my kid. I am not vying for a promotion. If there is a meeting, I happily sit to the side and watch the better paid people stress out about stuff. I feel no guilt whatsoever calling in sick to stay with my coughing child or leaving early because I want to get to the pool at a decent hour. If I leaned anymore out, I'd be out the damn window.






7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted about this. The Miller article was really infuriating to both Carter and me. His dad was home with them more than his mom when he was a kid. And we've always talked about staying home being a parenting choice, not a woman's choice. If, when we have kids, I'm making shittons more money than him or am working in a field I love and he isn't necessarily and we want someone to stay home with the kids, then TAG - he's it. And vice versa. It's economics for us, not a gendered issue. I think the thing that pissed me off most about that article was the woman encouraging her daughter to only seek a career from which she could step away at a moment's notice. Like - blammo, your vagina and uterus have control over your ambition. It doesn't have to be that way. I think that the whole biological imperative argument is bullshit too, though. Carter is one of the most nurturing people I know and will make an AMAZING dad, whether he works and I dont, he stays home and I work, or we both work and try to find the balance in everything. The fact that a person has a uterus does not automatically make them a good parents. I've known plenty of really shitty moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Jonathan can be so much better with MH than me, especially when it comes to nurturing her (I'm definitely more of a Tiger Mom--suck it up, kid! You live in freaking America!) Also, he's better at cleaning than I am too. I think he would make a much better stay at home parent. I just hate how this conversation keeps going into this loop of a woman's choice. The fact is, this is a parenting issue and gender should have nothing to do with it!

      Delete
  2. I was in... and then you said Taylor Swift is not a woman.. and then I was out.

    I suspect that calling Taylor a "unicorn cupcake fairy princess" wasn't an attempt to discredit her as a person (I hope), but I definitely did a big YIKES when I read, "She's not even a woman."

    Women can be women's harshest critics sometimes, especially in this eternal stay at home versus work debate (and the fact that it's framed this way). It can be difficult to place celebrities and music artists in a conversation on Big Intellectual Themes, but let's not kick her out, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair criticism. This was me being "funny" because in fact Taylor Swift is so blond and beautiful, she doesn't even seem human, but in fact a magical creature from another dimension. But you are correct that Taylor Swift is in fact a woman and deserving of her opinion. She is often portrayed, however (as are most celebs) as being more important and more deserving of having an opinion (even if it is a wrong, irrelevant opinion IMO). Up to this point, conversations about feminism in the media have stalled out at whether or not famous women identify themselves as feminists or not. I merely was using Taylor as an example of this.

      Delete
  3. I admit, I've been asleep and completely missed this debate. How, I'm not sure. Great argument, Kristin. I've considered a similar career option as you. I need flexibility so I can attend performances, go on field trips, volunteer in the kids' classrooms, but I'm no housewife. Adjuncting has been a good - if poorly paid - option. Thanks for waking me up. I'll be reading the infuriating article and following up on this discussion.

    (Btw, I thought the Taylor Swift remark was funny.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miller's suggestion that women are beter nurturers is such horseshit. It just adds to the neverending pile of mommy guilt. If it's not bad enough that you're working, leaving your baby with your husband is basically leaving him in the yard with the dog. Since you're a bad mother anyway, just spend all your paycheck on daycare so he can at least be cared for by women. Buh. This crap is not only insulting to me as a woman, mother, and feminist, it's personally insulting because Ross stays home with Asher four days of the week. It's hard enough for me to not be controlling and micromanaging of them because I'm a controlling and micromanaging lunatic, but now someone like Miller is going around spreading lies that I have a reason to be concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/03/25/why_women_clean_more_than_men_because_they_re_judged_for_the_mess.html

    Thought you might appreciate this article as well. Ugh this debate is keeping me up at night.

    ReplyDelete